Not many people get excited about winter – the dullness, red noses and cold feet… But there is one thing to get excited about, and that’s winter cooking! We can smell the stews, soups and pies brewing already… One of Maccauvlei on Vaal’s all-time favourite dishes to make, is the delicious Pumpkin Pie – and we suggest you try one it out this winter!
Pumpkin Pie Recipe
– 2 cups cooked and pureed pumpkin
– 380ml Cream of Ideal Milk (you can use milk instead if need be)
– 250ml flour
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp salt
– 300ml brown sugar
– 2 eggs
– 70ml butter, melted
– ½ tsp ground cinnamon
– ¼ tsp ground ginger
For the Crust:
+- 25 ginger biscuits, crushed
2 tbsp (30ml) sugar
4 tbsp (60ml) butter, melted
- First make the crust. Combine the biscuit crumbs, sugar and melted butter in a bowl and press into a round pie dish, and make sure it is tightly packed.
- Pop the dish into the freezer for about 15 minutes to set.
- In the meantime, make the filling. Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with an electric blender.
- Take the crust out the freezer.
- Pour the filling into the crust base and bake for 60 minutes.
- Serve hot with a dollop of cream, and a dash of cinnamon. Enjoy!