Have you been feeling the cold lately? We certainly have. Frost on the lawns and frozen fingers call for one thing: Mulled wine!
Try this great recipe; it will bring roses to your cheeks.
For four glasses you will need:
1 bottle of red wine (750ml)
2 sticks of cinnamon
2 cardamom pods
1 star anise
3 tbsp of brown sugar (You can substitute the brown sugar with honey for a slightly different flavour)
4 thin slices of orange rind (optional)
1. Slowly heat the red wine in a large saucepan or pot (don’t bring to the boil at any point as this will cause the alcohol to evaporate).
2. Slice the lemon and add it to the wine along with the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise and sugar.
3. Stir slowly until the sugar has dissolved. Leave to simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes (again, don’t allow it to boil).
4. Remove the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise and lemon slices.
5. Pour into individual heat proof glasses or mugs (a ladle works well) and finish off by adding a thin slice of orange rind to each glass. Serve hot.
To make them extra special try rimming the glasses with sugar before serving the mulled wine.
Enjoy and stay cosy!