Essential oils have been used for amorous purposed since the time of the ancient Egyptians. It has been said that Cleopatra used the exotic aroma of rose oil to attract the attention of Mark Anthony.
This Month of Love why not make use of romantic aromatherapy oils for massage and bathing?
Some of the most popular oils to promote romance are: Rose, Orange, Jasmine, Patchouli, Ylang Ylang and Sandalwood.
- Rose is known as The Queen of Flowers and its scent is said to dissipate stress, anger and anxiety and replace those feelings with calm and love. It is also known to increase passion.
- Sweet orange essential oil is known to increase joy, adventure and spontaneity.
- Jasmine scent is described as exotic and magical. It is said to have captured the romance of the moon as blooms are picked under the cover of darkness before the precious scented oil is removed.
- Patchouli essential oil is de-stressing, confidence building and promotes feelings of well-being.
- Ylang Ylang is a tropical flower whose scent is known to increase euphoria and feelings of hope and joy.
- Sandalwood is well known for its meditative and relaxing properties.
Aromatherapy oils must be diluted before being applied to the skin. The most common way is in bath water or with a carrier oil for massage. Some great carrier oils are: grape seed oil, sweet almond oil, avocado oil and jojoba oil. A good ratio of essential oils to carrier oil is 2-3 drops of aromatherapy oils to 1 teaspoon of carrier oil. If using essential oils for bathing add up to 8 drops of your chosen oil to your bath, lay back and breathe the scented vapor in deeply.
The Love Potion Massage Blend:
7 drops Patchouli essential oil
5 drops Ylang Ylang essential oil
8 drops Rose essential oil
45ml carrier oil
Add all ingredients to a dark-coloured glass jar. Roll between palms to blend. Allow two to three days before use so the scents can infuse.
Zorgvliet Spa offers essential oil massages, for more information go to Zorgvliet Spa or call us on (016) 420 2294 (Zorgvliet Spa at Maccauvlei on Vaal) or (016) 420 1314 (Zorgvleit Spa at Riviera on Vaal).