Fireworks fascinate and entertain many people. It creates an exuberant mood and adds an extra glow to the New Year. A few years ago, the Riviera on Vaal was excited to announce their New Year’s firework celebrations. Now, after a bit of research, this way of celebrating the New Year is something of the past for this Vaal River Resort.
Why should we rather hold our fire?
- Fireworks can unleash a shower of toxins into soil and water, having a negative impact on the environment, including humans and animals.
- Fish ingest firework debris and die, sometimes even causing the death of scavenging animals that eat the fish.
- Studies suggest that the smoke from fireworks is also harmful.
- Fireworks have been proven to be detrimental to companion animals and wildlife.
- The ears of most animals are considerably more sensitive than the human ear. Fireworks can permanently affect their acute sense of hearing.
- Sounds from loud gunshots (similar to the sound of fireworks) have proven to reduce some birds’ breeding time. With the Riviera on Vaal being a haven for birdlife, fireworks are a definite no.
- Animals fleeing from fireworks often get lost.
- Children are 11 times more prone to getting injured by fireworks.
- Firework explosions can cause Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and even deafness.
- Child labour is still used in the manufacturing of fireworks in India and China.
I bet this makes you think twice before buying fireworks. Let’s rather hold our fire and protect our environment.