Being situated on the banks of the Vaal River makes you think differently about your responsibility towards the environment. Your responsibility to keep your river clean.
- Use environmentally friendly detergents.
- Pre-cycle. Use products with less packaging.
- Preserve established trees in the neighborhood.
- Plant trees, shrubs and ground covers that can filter pollutants and reduce storm water runoff.
- Use a car wash that recycles wash water.
- Don’t dump trash or sewage from you boat.
- Watch for fuel spills when you fill your boat’s tank.
- Use soap without phosphate to wash your boat
- Use steel sinkers or washers instead of lead sinkers when you fish.
- Keep your boat’s engine well tuned and make sure that no seals, gaskets and hoses are leaking.
Nelson Mandela once said: “We attach a great deal of importance to the question of the environment because until we do things which show how much we value the environment, we are not going to be able to have a healthy society in the world.”
So let’s start by doing things that show how much we care about keeping the Vaal River clean and assist in creating a healthier society in the Vaal Triangle.