In tribute to SA’s top golfers and their holding South Africa’s name high, we’d like to share a few names and their top achievements with you:
- Ernie Els – Through 2010 he had 18 USPGA Tour Titles and more than 40 titles combined between the European and Sunshine Tours. He has also won his second Open at Royal Lytham in July 2012, which places him first on our list. He has won two Royal Championships now, and has registered top 10 thirteen times.
- Bobby Locke – He was one of the golfing greats in the 1950’s, known as Old Baggy Pants. Gary Player has called him the greatest putter of all-time. He was also known to have mentioned Riviera on Vaal’s 14th hole as his favourite.
- Gary Player – With over 150 professional golf wins worldwide, he ranks as one of South Africa’s top golfers.
- Retief Goosen – (aka The Goose) His first win was in 2001 at the U.S. Open and three years later he added another. He also won on the Sunshine Tour, as well as the Asian and European Tours. Not to mention his seven PGA Tour victories through 2010.
- David Frost – Also a great putter, he’s the only South African other than Player, Locke and Els to have double-digit victories at the USPGA Tour. He won 10 times at the USPGA Tour and he also won on the Sunshine Tour, as well as in Europe and Japan.
- Rori Sabbatini – His full-time career has been almost entirely spent on the USPGA, with no wins on any other tours. Still, he has six wins on the USPGA, making him one of the world’s most consistent golfers on this tour with a strong presence over an extended period of time.
- Charl Schwartzel – Originally from Vereeniging and quickly becoming the country’s favourite golfer, he has been building up his golfing career from a very young age. As the winner of the Masters at only 27 years of age he had also won five times on the Sunshine Tour, three of those co-sanctioned by the European Tour. In 2011 he added three big wins which included the Dunhill Championship and the Open de Espana.